Monday, January 4, 2010

2009 reflection

So, we finally crossed over into the new decade. Cellebrations are over for most, costumes and fireworks had been put away. Time to make new plans and also - how to accomplish them...




Looking back on the year that past, I feel thankful - for all good things that happened; and for even more to look forward to. I re-discovered my creativity this past year. It has been placed on the back burner during the turmoil of settling in Canada. It changed the way I look at things and built new appreciation for this city and it's unique face.




It also built up my awareness of the environment and ways to preserve it, helped me to return to my roots and lifestyle of my younger years. I began to embrace simplicity again, re-using countless great finds, avoiding bad and pricey habits, creating unique identity. Where I saw shortages before, I now see an opportunity to fill them with creativity.




My biggest discovery - or change - have been the Van's Indie arts influence on myself and my esthetics. I suddenly re-found vintage items - anything from furniture, clothes, accessories, to decor, to craft supplies - as long as they don't turn into dust between my fingers. I let my eyes wonder around Main street and size up all youth sporting their great - and bad vintage (hey, after all, it's great no matter what - as long as the kids can still get a job wearing that stuff...); skinnies and fedoras, belts and sack-bags, used dresses and their dads' vests. It's a healthy antidote to anything stuffy, counterfeit or 'soccer'....


Simplicity, minimalism and thoughtfulness that comes along with it, is beautiful.... My understanding of what I should pursue has definitely shifted towards the independent, and marking new trends, rather than formal and following rules - and I am glad about that...












I've also committed to working more with recycled materials. My goal is to re-work each item I am using in full - to utilize all it's parts and pieces; and reduce the waist in the process as much as possible. The very potent source proved to be Recycled Wool and Scrap Leather.

I am still searching for ways to recycle leather clothing, but so far I am having concerns about the amounts of dispose.

A jacket can only be recycled in some 30-40% of it's volume - or just the outer shell, but the lining, padding, snaps, fasteners and seams will end up in a landfill... Leather skirts and pants generate less waste once cut apart, so they might be a good source or re-usable supplies...

Liquidated or overstock leather is what I choose to work with. These pieces are beautiful, but rejected by their primary industires, such as upholsterors, car seat or garment mannufacturers due to size, frequency of print pattern, branding marks, etc. These pieces would otherwise also likely end-up discarded... they haven't been shaped into anything, so I am able to use them up to small scraps, that I will later - recycle....


The demand for new leather is built artificially and is not always associated with meat production. Some leathers, just like fur, are the only product that is derived from an animal. Think of the exotic and wild animal types of leather, use of which most indie designers will not support.


If you are to buy a leather  - or fur made - item, I would encourage you to choose one, made of recycled or liquidated animal materials.


And - please, shop handmade. Let's support each other! You will get unique and environment cautious style; a different, distingtive look - and
We will be able to continue our mission of providing that to you...



*source of all images used in this post - Google Images...

No comments:

Post a Comment