Sunday, January 30, 2011

The slowest weeks of the year...

A few weeks back I have announced going part time at my day-job.

And with just a couple of weeks left till my lucky start date, the long awaited relief could not seem further out of my reach...
During the past couple of weeks I was pretty much unable to work on the bags. I have been struggling to supply for the last retailer, and after I did, everything came to a stiff halt.


The short staffing situation at the day job office, all the confusion, caused by the workflow and role changes, immediate backlog of work, stress, complaints from the under-served claimants, took enormous toll on my body. Skipping breaks, not getting away from the desk at all, staying late to finish work has been my life in the pat two weeks.

I have never felt so both, mentally and physically tired  - ever... I would get home just to succumb onto the couch... Looks as though the ol' day job is out to take that last jab at me.
And I must say, it (almost) succeeded. If before this, I looked at my part-timing as a well deserved treat, now I feel more like a sailor, who has just spotted land on the horizon and cant wait to get off the boat.

The past two weeks brought me to a scary realization, that I will not be able to physically maintain doing both - working at the day-job and maintaining my business at the pace I have been going till now... Needless to say, that frightened me quite a bit. The very thought of giving up JVD is creating an unsatisfactory void.

After a moment or so, I came to a natural decision, that if my part timing is revoked for any reason, it will mean the end of my day-job....



Lucklily, I have only one more week of the chaos, till I cut back. Even though that week involves more of the backlog tackling, late nights and training someone new ( my job-share partner).

But after that I will take a few days to rest, walk and swim before I jump into booking Spring shows and some major production...

I will post about my new products next...

**May the Force be with me this time...***

No comments:

Post a Comment