Sunday, July 18, 2010

July heat wave sends my Homecity into sweltering standstill...

.... It has been three scorching days since my arrival to Vilnius, Lithuania, my birth city...
A large chunk of Central Europe found itself under a rising heat wave, with temperatures reaching 35-40 degrees C., intervened by rain and gail storms gathering from all directions towards the end of the day.

So far, my hopes for long walks on the streats of Vilnius, visits to my favourite craft, vintage shops and street side cafes have been postponed, as I could not last outside amidst the humid, seemingly moveless air.
Sidewalks, buildings, all the cars and every tree in sight were breathing heat...


Living in Vancouver for the past years, I realized that even I am not as able to survive, let alone embrace the heat of an Interior city. Being here these past days made me realize just how much I am attached to the Seaside, and endless flow of ocean scented air  ...
The month of July is the prime holiday season for Lithuanians, so it is quite usual to see the city emptying, as the locals travel to the shore of the Baltic sea some 4 hours away.

But this heat wave has completely cleared the streets. Those, who, like myself, somewhat unexpectedly, remained in town, chose to stay confined to their homes, air-conditioned shopping centres or took off to one of the nearby lakes... The only people I met during my short stroll from one shade to another, were groups of tourists, fanning themselves helplessly with their laminated maps, wiping sweat off their faces and hands.

I also ran into several wedding parties, positioning themselves on the shaded side of the Cathedral, and still sweating into their gowns and suits.

Street cafes, where once it was nearly impossible to get a table for a sit-down, were empty and quiet. Old town art market, gift shops and restaurants were just as empty. I could not help, but wonder, what does this weather, in addition to the plunged economy and high emigration, bring to the businesses of Vilnius...

But, on weekends, struck by a heat wave, the life is very different in Lithuania's West. Despite the high costs of holidaying there, locals and visitors celebrate their national sea coast and flood there on any occasion. With white sand beaches, and numerous cultural events during the summer, that is the place to be!

I really should have rented a car!

Now we'll just wait and see what other challenges my vacation to the hometown brings next...

(**these wonderful images, used for the post are NOT mine. The weather prevented me from exploring my city so far... Sources: Alix, NAdo, Nathan, Aiste, J.Kazanskaja - all acquired via Google Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment